Scalloped African Yam Stacks - Gluten FreeNovember 16, 2018
These yam stacks are perfectly portioned, making them a wonderful side dish for sharing at holiday dinners. Make them in a muffin tin or a baking cup, whichever you have on hand. The Monterrey jack cheese and dried thyme add a spicy, cheesy zest.
What you’ll need:
2 12-cup muffin tins
Tip: If you are taking these to a gathering, just pop in the oven for 5-10 minutes at 350º to warm them. They are also great served at room temperature.
1 1/2 pounds African yams (peeled and thinly sliced)
2-3 tsp fresh or dry thyme
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (divided)
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 garlic clove (chopped)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Fill each cup halfway with layers of yams.
- Sprinkle the stacks with salt, 1 1/2 tsp. thyme, and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Top with remaining yams. ( Yams should be stacked slightly above the rim of each cup.)
- In a saucepan, heat cream, garlic, and remaining 1/2 tsp. thyme on low heat for a few minutes.
- Pour cream mixture into muffin cups (about 1 Tbsp. per cup).
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350°, for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake 7 to 12 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife around rim of each cup, and lift potato stacks from cups using a spoon or thin spatula.