Curry Mackerel Patties with Cucumber Lemon Dipping SauceSeptember 22, 2018
This super easy to make dish is intensely satisfying AND healthy! Mackerels are a good source for Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega 3’s are so essential to a healthy diet, as they provide support for our heart by promoting blood circulation.
For the patties:
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or crushed crackers
- 1 15 oz can of mackerel fillets, plain or in tomato sauce, bones removed
- 3-4 tbsp Lion Curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Splash of vegetable, peanut, or sunflower oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tsp fresh dill (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt to taste
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, grated, and pressed between paper towels
- Prepare the dipping sauce by combining all ingredients into a bowl, stirring well, and putting into the refrigerator until serving time.
- Prepare the mackerel by removing bones and skin and flaking it into a mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the a mixing bowl, and work mixture into a sticky consistency.
- Form 5-10 palm sized balls and press into patty shapes.
- Arrange in a well oiled frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook on each side for about 5 minutes.
- Place the patties on a paper towel to collect excess oil.
- Serve with dipping sauce and lemon wedges as garnish.